- 80g pancetta, very finely diced
- 1 brown onion, very finely diced
- ¼ head fennel, very finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, cracked
- ½ tsp celery seeds
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Vialone Nano rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 pinches saffron threads, soaked in 1 Tbsp water
- 3 cups hot chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sheep’s milk Pecorino, finely grated
- 8 thin pork and fennel sausages
- 1 bunch Cavolo nero
- sea salt flakes and ground black pepper
- thyme leaves, to garnish
Sauté the pancetta, onion, fennel, garlic, fennel seeds and celery seeds in 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil for 5 minutes, until softened. Set aside. Add the rice to the saucepan with 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil and fry for 3 minutes, until the grains are translucent.
Return the vegetables to the saucepan and pour in the wine and saffron mixture. Begin adding the hot stock 1 ladle at a time, shaking the pan gently and allowing the liquid to absorb before adding the next ladle. Once all the liquid has been added, remove from the heat and beat in the butter and Pecorino.
Cook the sausages on a hot barbecue grill until just firm, then slice and crumble. Mix into the risotto. Toss the Cavolo nero in the remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then cook on the hot grill for 2 minutes. Serve with the risotto.
NOTE: Vialone Nano is a risotto rice that is more stable and creamy than arborio. If unavailable, use arborio.
Original recipe created for Papandrea Fine Foods by Ed Halmagyi & the team at Roughcut Studio Australia